Saturday, February 5, 2011

A different kind of money trouble for baseball

-- January 31, 2011

There's a story about Madoff and the Mets. I puzzled over it for awhile, and I'm not sure, but I have a guess as to its meaning. It seems that the owners of the Mets have invested in another fraudulent scheme and may or may not have gotten out early with some inside information about the imminent collapses. Since twice is always more than a coincidence in newsworld, it's significant, but not if a reasonable person can't understand it. It appears on the top level web page, is classified as sports. If it means anything at all, it is suggesting that there are pockets of rot throughout Wall Street. But isn't that the job of sharp financial journalism? And not newsworthy because a major league baseball owner is mentioned?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/31/sports/baseball/31mets.html

If I couldn't read the Times anymore, the thing I would miss the most is the chicken story from Saturday. Maybe I'm out of touch, but I never heard of Chick-fil-A chicken sandwichs. This kind of fast food is not my thing, but I had no idea there were such "Christian" companies around. It's weird that this is angled on the anti-gay implications, but I forgive the paper its minor transgressions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/us/30chick.html

The paper's still awash in Egypt without having much to say. Mysterious protest leaders are mentioned, but there's no evidence the reporters know who these might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment